Wednesday, September 07, 2005

"As Billy Graham would say, 'is this seat saved?'" - Prof. Sunquist before joining our table for lunch.

Here is my next move in conforming with traditional blog format. I'll be trying to make shorter daily entries as opposed to waxing for 90 minutes about a week at a time. Chances are this archive will help me later when I compare it to meditation journals and daily scriptural reflections.

I've now taken each class at least once with the exception of my Spiritual Formation small group which was described during the lecture. Dr. Gagnon's greek class is going to be a treat I can tell. I just have to get past the pronunciations I learned from russian math professors and, of course, the misguided fraternity system. I read a review of one of his books where he was compared to a stiff algebra professor. Nothing could be further from the truth. He is self described as "100% French" and very animated. The most critical reason we must learn greek? The Protestant Revolution.

Dr. Humphery's New Testament class is in dreaded room 4 with the chairs. She hopped into the lecture with overheads loosely related to the topics she was discussing. The general theme was understanding context and having the literary competency to recognize the genre of what you're reading. A grocery list is not poetry, the book of Daniel is not a weather report. Required reading is the first 250 pages of the New Testament. The supplemental text resembles a dictionary (inside and out). I also had to purchase a new bible for the course, I wonder how many times I'll have to do that. This is interesting: her litmus test for the current generation's biblical illiteracy is the phrase "BUT IF NOT" taken from a note passed from a field commander to his HQ during WWII. Can you name the source? None of us could, but apparently any American in the 1940's would have known exactly what it meant.

Chapel included communion and was led by Dean John White. Great message about the faith of the centurion in Matthew 8.

According to your faith...

<><

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home